Mario Amodeo is a full-time professional chess coach available in San Diego County or online. Appropriate guidance for beginners to tournament players rated up to about 1800. Ages 6 to 116.
Lesson Objectives and Benefits:
- structured chess lessons emphasize understanding and development of skills
- before each chess lesson Mario Amodeo prepares a written outline of a personalized lesson, including homework
- adults report improved overall memory, chess performance and enjoyment
- children develop self-esteem, responsibility, and tenacity (for Benjamin Franklin’s “Moral’s of Chess” click on Links)
- other cognitive benefits include observational, analytical, evaluative, and planning skills
Testimonials and Student Highlights:
- “Mario Amodeo is a first-rate Chess Instructor of very long standing in San Diego.” -from David Saponara, a parent, MBA, UCLA, current and many time San Diego Chess Club President since 1982, former United States Chess Federation Board Member, former U.S. Navy Fighter Pilot
- blast from the past: first student called Mario for lunch a week after graduating Yale 2014
- Bishop’s H.S. Junior Rachel, a chess student from 2009-2015, teaches chess herself at La Jolla Riford Library since 2013
one parent’s comments: “Thank you for your conscientious and dedicated teaching.” -August 2015.
- “Hi Mario, I want to thank you so very much for the lessons and the training modules, that provide the structure that has lead to my progression of understanding of how this game is played.” -Bruce, Nov 2015, after climbing 329 rating point to 1771 by scoring 6-0 in a USCF rated tournament
Link to July 2012 Chess Life magazine article featuring a student of Mario Amodeo: Preparing the Classic Bishop Sacrifice
- over 3000 chess lessons taught to groups and ‘one on one’ (ages 4 to 84) at dozens of library and school locations since the 1990′s
- USCF Candidate Master title (Expert), id: 12523359, competing weekly at the San Diego Chess Club for over 23 years
- head instructor, San Diego Chess Club Summer 2000 Chess Camp
- volunteer assistant tournament director for many scholastic chess events since 1997
- State of California Substitute Teaching Permit for 2009-2010 (click for screenshot)
For Rates Click Here Contact Information: 619-508-2312 (best to phone) or email:
Examples of places Mario can drive to: San Diego, 4S Ranch, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, La Mesa, Hillcrest, Clairemont, Mira Mesa, Rancho Penasquitos, National City, Lemon Grove, El Cajon, Encinitas, Santee, Tierra Santa, Linda Vista, Mission Valley, Point Loma, Pacific Beach, Mission Hills, Del Cerro, La Jolla, North Park, South Park, Kensington, Poway, Spring Valley, Normal Heights, East Lake, Coronado, Bonita, Rancho Bernardo.